installing sarge/sid from cd

I have d\l both CD1 of sarge and sid, but neither will boot correctly. I get a syslinux 1.75 prompt, but there does not seem to be a way to select different versions. If you hit enter, you just get the continous looping error after init starts of /usr/src/debian-installer/tools/cdebconf/src/frontend.c:222 (frontend _new) and another very similiar message about slang.so and not being able to load them.

I don't even see any bin files on the cd for different kernel flavours like the woody cd has. I've tried 3 different versions of sarge over the past two weeks, and they are all like this.

Anyone know anything about this?