Re: woody browsers not working

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:23:50PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, john gennard said:
> > I'm still having problems with my woody installations.
> > I've been trying to network three boxes at home, and think I may be making
> > progress. However, when I configure ppp and try to use Lynx or KDE's
> > Conqueror, neither will work. Previously these have worked 'out of the box'
> > (i.e. with no intervention from me), now they just appear to try connecting
> > but do nothing.
> >
> > There has been a recent thread about similar problems, but apparently
> > when using the 2.4 kernel (I'm using 2.2.20 at this stage).
> >
> > If I use wvdial, the logging shows:-
> >
> > -------------------
> > [snip]
> > --> Looks like a password prompt.
> > --> Sending: (password)
> > Auth successful[7f][03]@![01][01] [18][01][04][05]j[02][06]
> > [05][06][0e]e[14[12][07][02][08][02]~[7f]}#@!}!}"} }8}!}$}%j}"}&} } } }
> > }%}&[0e]e}4}2}'}"}(}"U=--> PPP negotiation detected.
> > --> Starting pppd at Mon Sep  2 16:07:12 2002
> > --> pid of pppd: 426
> > ------------------
> >
> > ifconfig shows:-
> >
> > -----------------
> > ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
> >           inet addr:217.158.116.89  P-t-P:217.158.114.40  Mask:255.255.255.255
> >           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1514  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
> >           RX bytes:217 (217.0 b)  TX bytes:208
> > ----------------
> >
> > so I assume the ppp config is good and I am connected to my ISP
> > (the 'clock' is definitely running).
> >
> > Why cannot I browse? I've looked at 'path' and 'permissions' and things
> > seem correct. I can't find '/dev/ppp0', but that is the same on the boxes
> > still running Potato, so I assume it's normal.
> >
> > Obviously something is wrong, but I've no idea what - can someone please help
> > me out.
>
> It sounds like you have a different issue than they did.  It appears
> that ppp is actually working for you, but that either DNS or routing is
> failing.
>
> I am going to operate on the assumption (correct me if I'm wrong) That
> what you have are three boxes, each with a NIC, connected to each other
> through a hub or router, and one of them has a modem and gets an
> internet connection which it then shares with the other two.
>
> I'm probably going to cover some ground that you already have, but maybe
> you'll get something new out of it.
>
> Box 1 has the modem, Box 2 and 3 don't.  Box 2 and 3 should have
> /etc/netwrok.interfaces something like:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.0.2
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> Box 1 should have:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.0.1
> [...]

I've been going thru this recently. I would suggest one minor change in
the advice above:
use 192.168.1.x rather than 192.168.0.x,
then your setup will be ready for a default install diald, which assumes
that it can use 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
for the two ends of its dummy link.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com