Apache mirracle (htaccess)

Dear Apache-Experts!

I have a strange problem with a simple task of configuration on our
Apache 1.3.26 www-server on an "old potato updated to woody"-Debian.
Therefore I would be very gratefull if I could get replies.

The task: Granting access to directories to certain users on a simple
user/password basis, using simple authentification and .htaccess-files.
This had been working very well for a long time.

The problem: After I had installed and uninstalled mySQL-server/client,
horde and imp - it stopped working. (Or let's say, after a log
time...)

The symptomes: .htaccess-files are parsed - for when I write impropper
syntax, apache writes errormessages. It looks as if only the
AuthUserFile-information is simply ignored. When one tries to login,
apache claims in its error-log that it couldn't find the user in the
restricted web-directory (nonsense!).
([error] user testuser not found: /restricted_dir/)

My homework: I read 20 manuals and I have checked every setting and
every line in /etc/apache/httpd.conf. Everything is set correctly. I
have checked each and every .htaccess-file and regenarated the
password-files: It did not work.  I have moved the syntax from the
.htaccess-file to the httpd.conf-file as directory-directive: It did not
change anything. I have removed the webserver from the system, removed
the rest by hand and reinstalled everything from another source: this
didn'd change a thing. And at last I had tried to change the combination of
modules, which was quite confusing in the results, but it didn't change
my problem. (Which modules are needed for minimal restriction, anyway?)

I wrote Emails to apache and to the maintainer of the debian-package,
but I didn't get any answers yet. Does anybody have an idea about this
strange behavior? (Of the server, of course..)
Thank you very much in forward to any suggestions.
Greetings,
Oliver

ps. some configurations:

AllowOverride is set to All everywhere.
My directives for an example-directory in httpd.conf:

<Directory "/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/restricted_dir">
AuthType Basic
require valid-user
Satisfy all
AuthName "test"
AuthUserFile /etc/apache/access_files/testdir
</Directory>

--
## Oliver Sass (oas)
## mail@olansa.de