Re: /etc/cron.monthly/scrollkeeper noise

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 04:47:39PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> It is the first of the month again and as every month I get a burp of
> noise from scrollkeeper.  But I don't even know what it is.

Add -q to the scrollkeeper-rebuilddb line.

> >  It stores metadata specified by the http://www.ibiblio.org/osrt/omf/
> >  (Open Source Metadata Framework) as well as certain metadata extracted
> >  directly from documents (such as the table of contents).
> >
> >  It provides various functionality pertaining to this metadata to help
> >  browsers, such as sorting the registered documents or searching the
> >  metadata for documents which satisfy a set of criteria.
>
> Would it be possible for a kind soul to educate me?  What is
> scrollkeeper?

It is a system for registering information about documents installed on
the system and allowing programs like the GNOME help browser to access
them.

> Why does it burp noise every month?

scrollkeeper changed upstream to output more information by default and
to provide a -q option to disable this verbosity. I think the maintainer
forgot to add -q to the cron job to go along with this change.