Re: I'm worried about a Warning from lilo

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 10:36, Paul E Condon wrote:
> Hi.
> After a change to lilo.conf, I ran lilo, and noticed a warning message.
> I have not noticed this message before. Is it serious? What does it mean?
>
> The message is:
>
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
>  head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x81
>
> Also which drive in the series hd[a-d] is referenced by BIOS drive 0x81?
>
> Hope this is not serious. I have plenty of problems without clobbered
> data on disk.
>
> TIA
>
> Paul
>

> --

I found this doing a google search on the error message, from a Suse
list:

"The first warning(0X13) is that Lilo is checking your BIOS for large
disk support. It should work anyway. You can check if your BIOS is ready
for an upgrade.

The second(empty map) can be that there is a 0-byte file that messes up
Lilo's mapping, for example a 0-byte /boot/message file.

It could also be that you have an empty initrd RAM disk. If you have
deleted
what is in initrd, you should run the command 'mk_initrd' to correct
this.

Check with the command: lilo -t -v -v -v -v -v for more verbose output,
and also check in /boot to find the 0-byte file.

Regards,

Jostein "

--
Greg C. Madden