Re: Woody kernel 2.4.18-686; ppp & scsi won't work.

On Saturday 31 August 2002 06:17 pm, Andre Berger wrote:
> * Earl F Hampton <earliii@thegrid.net>, 2002-08-31 21:11 -0400:
> > I'm having this same problem with ppp. I can get the modem to pick up
> > and dial but that's it.
> >
> > Everything works fine on 2.2 kernels and it worked
> > back in potato with lower than 2.4.5 kernels. I should say it worked with
> > 2.4.3 and 2.4.5 but not with 2.4.9 and above. That was using the Bunk
> > kernels and at that time the modem wouldn't even pick up the phone.
> >
> > So if someone responded please post to the list also as Barry isn't the
> > only one with the problem.
> >
> > On Saturday 31 August 2002 12:18 pm, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> > > I am currently running Woody with kernel 2.2.19 and both my dial-up ppp
> > > connection and scsi system work as expected. I have installed kernel
> > > 2.4.18-686 for potential use of the USB capability (digital camera).
> > > Unfortunately, when I restart my machine with the 2.4.18-686 kernel,
> > > neither my ppp nor scsi system work.
> > >
> > > I think this issue may relate to module loading. I see no module in the
> > > 2.4.18 directory named 'ppp', but there is 'ppp_generic'. However,
> > > doesn't appear to load when I boot, but after loading it with modprobe,
> > > the cd-rw is still not recognized.
>
> Can't help with the sg module, but I had a similar problem when
> upgrading from potato. Make sure all of ppp's dependecies are
> fulfilled:
>
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libpam0g (>= 0.72-1), libpcap0 (<<
> 0.7.0), libpcap0 (>= 0.6.1-1), libpam-modules, netbase, sysvinit (>=
> 2.75-4), procps, makedev (>= 2.3.1-56)

Yep I'm good to go on this.

> (from apt-cache show ppp)
I changed around my chatscript and added

''	"AT"
"OK"	ATDTnumber

It never gets to the number part.

If I just have the first thing in the chatscript after the abort stuff
as dialing then it will dial out but if I expect any response from
the modem then it hangs at that point in the chatscript.

All the ways I tried charscripts work fine with the 2.2 kernel
but all hang in the 2.4.18 at the point where the script expects
something other than a "" or ''.

minicom shows the OK responses from the modem.