Re: Q: cfdisk error

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Elizabeth Barham wrote:

> "Alice M. Pinard" <dmnsqrl@cybertours.com> writes:
>
> > Trying to ready a 60g drive on a Promise Ultra card for first use.
> >
> > used MAKEDEV to create /dev/hde
> >
> > when I did 'cfdisk /dev/hde' I got "no partition table or unknown
> > signature on partition table"
> >
> > um... does that sound at all right?
>
> ummmm.... no.
>
> You have more than one IDE card in the machine, yes? And you're trying
> to set up the system to use, at most, eight IDE drives?
>
> The kernel is going to have to recognize the card and set up the
> connections - usually done during bootstapping. During boot, does it
> recognize:
>
> 1) The card (Promise Ultra)
> 2) /dev/hde
>
> ? 'dmesg' should tell you.
>
> OTOH, if you mean the 60g drive is new and is what is referred to in
> "first use", and you just plugged it into the IDE connectors on the
> mother board, you may want to use "dmesg" and see if it's on a
> different device, such as /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd.
>
> I don't understand why you had to make /dev/hde unless you have more
> than one IDE operational controller in your system.
>
> Elizabeth

Let me clarify....

I have one hard drive, 2g. It's almost full. The well-meaning bf bought me
a 60g hd. My motherboard doesn't grok 60g. I bought a Promise Ultra
ATA/100 pci adapter card to be its ide controller. Eventually I will be
removing the 2g drive once I transfer its information to the 60g hard
drive and do the voodoo necessary to make the 60g boot.... but that's
further down the line...

for now... I've installed the card, unwrapped the hard drive and attached
it to the card....

when I boot up my kernel says (among other things)

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 09
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 58
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0b.0
PDC20267: chipset revision 2
PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xa800-0xa807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xa808-0xa80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:DMA
hda: WDC AC34300L, ATA DISK drive
hdb: FX001DE, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: MAXTOR 6L060J3, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide2 at 0xd000-0xd007,0xb802 on irq 10
hda: 8406720 sectors (4304 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=8896/15/63, UDMA(33)
hde: 117266688 sectors (60041 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=116336/16/63, UDMA(100)
hdb: ATAPI 4X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
 hde: unknown partition table

now, the 'hde' stuff is new this login, which is nice... means I did at
least that right. Last night I had no /dev/hde so I had to use MAKEDEV to
make it

'cdisk /dev/hde' still however says the stuff about no partition
table... if the drive is brand-spanking new does that make this message
less unanticipated or is there still something probably not right with the
situation?