Re: List as a newsgroup

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:30:15AM +0100, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> I've just discovered I can get this list as a newsgroup. I tried this
> about a year ago when I first started using Debian, but it didn't
> work, so since then I've been getting it as a mailing list.
>
> Has it always been like this, or is this a recent thing.

It's been around for a few years, although it's never been by any means
guaranteed to be picked up by all ISPs.

Note that posting to the newsgroup won't reflect your articles back to
the mailing list, until something has changed recently.

> I'm not beginning to wonder whether my ISP didn't provide the group,
> and I mistakenly assumed it was only available as a mailing list.

The mailing list is the only "official" means of article distribution. A
third party runs the gateway to news.