Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:21:37 +0200
From: Olivier Crouzet <olivier.crouzet@free.fr>
To: debian-laptop <debian-laptop@lists.debian.org>
Subject: insmod lt_serial, lt_modem on Acer Extensa 501 Dx

Hi,

I am trying to get my lt winmodem work under linux. I have compiled my own
kernel and made the corresponding kernel-headers package using make-kpkg.
Everything works fine since I have installed this new kernel but I
encounter problems with the insertion of the lt_serial module (which has
to be inserted before the lt_modem one).

I have configured isapnp.conf according to both pnpdump output and MS
Windows information (IRQ = 3 base IO = 0x02e8 and 0x0100) and the sound
card works well following a similar procedure.

Here is en extract of my isapnp.conf file.

(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02e8) (CHECK))
(INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
(IO 1 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0100) (CHECK))

I have compiled the Lucent winmodem drivers from source with the
build_module (and then build_deb) script provided. I have tried versions
8.22a3 and 6.00c2 respectively.

I have left 8.22a3 because when I try to compile it, I am told that my
headers are not matched with my running kernel (thought I know it is false
because I did them (the kernel image and the headers) myself with
make-kpkg).

So let's go for 6.00c2. Everything goes fine at compile time with both
build_module and build_deb. I install the package with dpkg and there is
no problem at install time (it creates links from /dev/modem to
/dev/ttyLT0 and set group to dialout).

Then, if I try to do an insmod as root :

# insmod lt_serial

Using /lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o
/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol
SetLtModemInterface
/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol
GetLtModemInterface
/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

It looks like you are close.

Your builds should have also created lt_modem which you need to insmod or modprobe before insmod'ing lt-serial

Paul Scott