Re: exim's header rewrite

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:23:40PM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 06:56:05PM +0800, Michael C Alonzo wrote:
> > I have two pop mail servers, 1 from my ISP and one from softhome.net.
> > here's my mailing list subscriptions:
> >
> >         PACIFIC.NET.PH(ISP)             SOFTHOME.NET
> >
> >         debian-user                     boost-users
> >         lyx-devel                       oss-dev.free.net.ph
...snipped some possible directions of interest
> Or (more guessing) do you seek for ways to adjust your From header
> whilst replying depending on some attribute of the mail you're
> replying to (like through what pop box / ISP it came to you)?

<off-list reply indicated this was the one>

The proper place to achieve that is in your Mail User Agent (MUA,
e.g. mutt) and not in your Mail Delivery Agent (MDA, e.g. exim)
simply because your MDA doesn't know to what mail you're replying.
You need to sort the incomming mail into seperate folders and then
use mutt's mailbox-hook feature to set the From header depending
on the mailbox.

On the other hand if your email adress solely depends on the adressee
(the (Envelop-)To/Cc/Bcc header(s)) then you might achieve what you
want with exim's Transport specific rewrite rules. You need the
condition option of the Router's to distinguish the different cases,
and test on all relevant headers ((envelop-)To, [B]Cc, maybe more)

Or you could try to make the result of exim's generic rewrite rules
depend on the addressee.  This is more complicated then it seems as
you might have to dig to find the right rewrite triggering header.

Or you could use exim's powerfull transport_filter Transport option,
and use a home grown Perl/Python script to alter what ever.

Personally, I would advice to investigate the first and look into
Mutt's mailbox-hooks.

--
groetjes, carel