Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 06:08:43PM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

> Yuppers, that would be a cruel situation.  I did it too for a small time, but
> I just couldn't ignore RMS's suggestions of implied migration.

Implied migration?

> Time to backup what you can and toss it in the trash.

Heh, at my old school, if one of the machines had a drive start going
bad, it would be dubbed "The Big Box of Stars."  When it finally died
and was turned over to the computers class to fix (every major hardware
fix also included reinstallation to Linux), the drive would be
disassembled, one platter hung on the wall, the rest kept in a box in
case something came to mind that would be interesting to do with them.
The spacer rings usally were kept by students, they made a
tuning-fork-like, but extremely loud ring when you threw it endwise into
a concrete floor.  *Whup-TIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG!!!*

> had given away died very much like yours did.  Leads me to think WD isn't
> what an IBM is.

No, IBM makes the best drives, hands down, but WD seems to have a rather
large distributor subjecting thier drives to a lot of stress while in
the packaging (I haven't heard of WDs dying very often around here, for
example, but Iomega Jaz disks tend to be more reliable than Quantam
Fireballs...)

> worry about backing up my OS.  Waste of time IMO as Debian has an excellent
> web presence.

Well, that, and backing up any OS is pointless, reinstalling from
scratch and restoring user files from backup removes a significant
amount of cruft if you apt-get update religiously or try out new
packages regularly. (peeve...sometimes dpkg --purge doesn't nail all
files installed by some packages even if no other installed package
wants or needs it.)

--
Baloo