Re: CDwriter

    "Florian" == Florian Struck <florian.struck@t-online.de> writes:

    Florian> Hi i have a question about writers.  I have just added a
    Florian> cdwriter to my pc (running sid) I have also built a new
    Florian> kernel with scsi emulation support, but my drives are
    Florian> still detected as hdc (cdwriter samsung) and hdd (toshiba
    Florian> dvd) ("cdrecord -scanbus" doesnt detect it).  So does
    Florian> someone have a short explanation on "what to do" or could
    Florian> someone point me to a howto or any other usefull infos on
    Florian> debian and cdwriting?  Thanx Florian

You don't really *need* to recompile or anything. Just follow the
instructions in http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html to get
it all going.

The trick is to get the ide-cd driver to ignore /dev/hdc at start up
with a "options ide-cd ignore=hdc" line added to /etc/modules.conf or
similar. Basically, I added a file called /etc/modutiles/cdrw, put in
all the configuration stuff (see the HOWTO), and then ran
update-modules. Works like a charm with the stock 2.4.18 kernel.

Cheers!
Shyamal
:q: