controlling screen dimming, sleep

What controls whether or not my screen dims (goes to sleep) when I don't
use the machine for a while?  I have the power saver features disabled
in the bios, and still get the screen dimming on inactivity.  I'd like
to find out how to disable this, because I think it is also not allowing
my machine to be reached on the network.  When the machine is inactive,
I can't ping it.  Any suggestions on where the screen dimming and
network inaccessibility are coming from would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Ric