Re: stupid script tricks - slightly OT

* Brenda J. Butler (bjb@achilles.net) [020429 23:44]:
> Also, personally I like to force the period to be a period and
> not a wildcard for "any character", just in case there was a file
> named myfilewhichisjpg that I didn't want to match.  I also
> usually put the -print explicitly.

These are shell patterns, not regular expressions. The . is not special;
it is just a dot. find also supports a -regex expression, which does
match regexes, in which case the leading '*' is nonstandard at best --
my guess is that since it isn't following another token as a quantifier
it would match only a literal '*', which is probably not what you want.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml