Re: compiling KDE3 - missing dcopidl

On Mon Apr 29, 2002 at 12:03:36PM -0400, Robert_L wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to compile KDE3 from source.  I have compiled and installed
> arts and kdelibs and am running into the following snap during configure for
> kdebase:
>
> "checking for dcopidl... not found
> configure: error: The important program dcopidl was not found!
> Please check whether you installed KDE correctly."
>
> Chacking on the Debian packages search page I see this is in kdelibs-dev.
> I can see no kdelibs-dev amoung the KDE3 sources on ftp.kde.org.
> kdelibs from KDE2 wants to remove:
> libpng-dev libqt3-dev libqt3-mt-dev qt3-tools
> so I assume this would be the wrong route as well.

Believe it or not, I had very few problems installing KDE3 from source
on Corel Linux.

If you install from source, the dcopidl should be in
kdelibs-3.0.tar.bz2.

It is important to install in this order:
qt-3.0.3 , then arts-1.0.0, then kdelibs-3.0.
After that you can install the others in any order, except kdeaddons
which if you install it must be installed last.

I'm assuming you installed qt-3, though you didn't mention it
Are you setting all your env. vars?
I installed in a strange path obviously you'll have to adjust, but here'
what worked for me:

export KDEDIR=/afolder/corel_addons/kde3/
export QTDIR=/afolder/corel_addons/qt-x11-free-3.0.3/
./configure
make all
# make install

I also added the following 2 lines to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig:
/afolder/corel_addons/kde3/lib
/afolder/corel_addons/qt-x11-free-3.0.3/lib

HTH
--
-CraigW