Re: courier-imap and windows mail client

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 04:21:43PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
| dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> writes:
|
| > I just install courier-imap on my system to let my dad receive mail on
| > it.  The documentation is exceedingly sparse.  I couldn't even find
| > any mention of where it expects the folders to be.  I managed to work
| > out that I need a symlink from ~/Maildir to /var/mail/$USER.
|
| Yeah, Debian-specific documentation for courier is non-existent.  I
| despise when developers don't include a README that explains the default
| Debian configuration for a package.
|
| That said, there is a courier-doc package that mirrors the documentation
| from the website.

Oh, I missed the courier-doc package before.  Still, the docs on the
website are not very helpful.  They have lots of detail on how to
compile it, but that isn't helpful because one of debian's buildd's
did that for me.

I didn't find any info that explains the config file or options or
even where it looks for the mail.

| > Is there any way I can change it to use /var/mail/$USER for the INBOX
| > and normally-named directories under ~/Mail for subfolders?  I found
| > that if I create a subfolder named "foo" it will be stored in
| > ~/Maildir/.foo.
|
| AFAIK, the courier mail servers need to have all of the mail in a single
| directory.  It then follows the naming scheme "INBOX" at the top level
| (~/Maildir on the local file system), with folders named "INBOX.foo"
| (~/Maildir/.foo locally), and sub-folders within those named
| "INBOX.foo.bar" (~/Maildir/.foo.bar locally).

Yeah, I found that, but  I want it to look in ~/Mail for the
subfolders of INBOX (and not prepend a '.').  If it could do that then
I could switch back and forth between using mutt normally and using
imap for something.

| uw-imapd will do what you're asking, but it's a shitty mail server.

If it will do what I want ... why shouldn't I use it?
Please elaborate on the cons of uw-imapd.

| > I also need recommendations for a win32 mail client that can handle
| > IMAP and preferrably gpg/pgp.  I've heard good reports in the past
| > about Pegasus, but how is it for gpg?  Here's the list of win32 MUAs
| > I'm familiar with :
| >    Lookout/Lookout Express  (never!)
| >    Lotus Notes              (not a chance!)
| >    Netscape Messenger       (works but not the greatest, slow and bloated)
| >    Eudora                   (is it ok?)
| >    Pegasus Mail             (supposedly good, never tried it)
| >    The Bat!                 (don't know much)
| >    mutt                     (yeah! ;-), but not for my dad)
| >    gnus                     (? if emacs runs ..., not going to happen either)
|
| I haven't used Pegasus since ~1995, and I don't think it's changed much
| since then, meaning it still looks and acts like a Win3.1 program (ugly,
| dumb MDI interface).

Oh.  I'll try it anyways and see.

| Mozilla's mail client may be ok, but its development lags behind the
| browser and tends to be buggy.
|
| The win32 emacs port works well, as does gnus (you'll need oort gnus for
| gpg), if he doesn't mind learning emacs.

I think he will mind learning emacs.  If he actually wants to get that
unixy I'll show him mutt and vim inside cygwin.

| All other windows mail clients suck horribly.

Juno.  (That's what he uses now.  Will someone add juno support to
fetchmail?  Then I could transparently (as far as others are
concernced) help him switch to a Real mail system)

| The Unix world has a huge advantage in this area.  Your dad would
| probably be best off using kde 3 and kmail for something similar but
| superior to windows.

Maybe I can get him to try remote X in cygwin.  Maybe I can find a
web-based mailer instead.  Is squirrelmail decent?  (it's the one I've
heard of before)  Is there one for zope instead?

Thanks all for your recommendations.  It's really too bad it seems
that gnus and mutt are the only "windows" mail programs that supporg
gpg/pgp.

-D

PS. Patrick:  Shawn has rather accurately explained why I won't touch
    MS LookOut [Express].  There's a reason it is called LookOut
    <0.5 wink>.  I want to stay away from such security holes, and in
    addition Outlook Express can't handle PGP/MIME messages like this
    one.  If you want the whole story on it search the archives.  It's
    been extensively flamed over before.

--

 "Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a behavior issue."
                                                       --Steve Jobs