Re: simple dpkg & compile from source question

* craigw (craigw@lvcm.com) [020426 20:19]:
> On Fri Apr 26, 2002 at 05:00:45PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:14:00PM -0700, justin cunningham wrote:
> > > Hi, I have to compile a program from source since the install script for
> > > the deb package is installing in the wrong directory.  no biggie BUT
> > > I've always used deb packages and haven't mix n matched before.  Will I
> > > have a problem with dpkg at some latter point?  Please advise if
> > > applicable.  Thanks, jusitn
> >

> I don't think you need to build your own to accomplish this.
>
> dpkg -i -R /usr/local package.deb
>
> should install 'package' in /usr/local
>
> If I am wrong please someone correct me. I have seen this in the manpage
> for dpkg, but have never used it.

It's 'dpkg --instdir=/usr/local -i package.deb'

This technique is *very* useful for building chroot jails!

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml