Sound Problem

I'm running debian 2.2 kernel 2.2.18. I compiled the
proper drivers for my sound card, but the system
doesn't seem to have anyproper devices. I know that
the kernel is properly configured for the sound card I
have. The reason I say this is that when I cat
/dev/sndstat, cprrect information about my sound card
is displayed, but no mixer, audio, or midi devices
appear in the respecticve sections. Any idea what I
can do?