SB Live!/ALSA wavetable synth?

I'd like to get wavetable synthesis working on my SB Live!. PCM works fine. FM synth works as well as can be expected. I'm using kernel-image-2.4.18-k6 and the matching alsa-modules. I use devfs. Do I need to do something with the snd-emu10k1-synth module in /etc/modutils/alsa? I saw something about a program called sfxload. Is this packaged for Debian? How do I locate the soundfont files on my Windows partition? Do they have an .sft extension? Some other extension?
Thanks,
John