Re: Has anyone used the debian CD , which comes oreilly book

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 07:20, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Apr 24, 2002, dkotian3@vsnl.net (dkotian3@vsnl.net) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone used the debian CD , which comes oreilly book.
> > Title of the Book is : Learning Debian GNU/Linux.
> > By Bill McCarty
>
> Yes.
>
> Neither the book nor the disk are particularly good, though I managed an
> install from it long, long ago.
>
> > The book is also online now, but can someone tell the version of
> > Kernel present on the CD, which comes along with book.  If the version
> > is 	Kernel 2.4.17 based or later.Then I may buy the book for the
> > sake of CD only.
>
> There are better sources for CDs.  LinuxCentral and Cheapbytes are two
> that come to mind.

UK users are probably better served by http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

Also note that John gives away (i.e. you pay shipping, but that's all)
old versions of CDs.

> You don't *need* to install from CD, and I've done a dozen or so Debian
> systems over a modem.

However, the base2_2.tgz file is nice to have on CD - I had a severe
"bad floppy" evening one night installing onto a laptop. I dd'ed the
same four floppies for all the images :\

Take care

Peter.
--
Peter Whysall