Re: sendmail half-works (more data)

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:20:31PM -0400, Richard A Nelson wrote:
| On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, dman wrote:
| > On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:41:39PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
| > | begin  dman quotation:

| > |
| > | Bingo.
|
| Bzzt. wrong for sendmail >= 8.12.0 !
|
| > Ok, so should /usr/sbin/sendmail be suid root?  (I'm not sure because
| > sendmail is much more complex than exim is and has many more pieces)
| >
| > If so, why wasn't it that way already?  Does the package come with it
| > suid and linuxconf screwed it up, or is the package broken?
| > (version 8.12.3-4)
|
| Sendmail should most definitely *NOT* be suid... its sgid for a reason!
|
| It sounds like linuxconf has severely fscked your setup !

Hmm, I'm not too surprised by that.  I know linuxconf works on RH[1],
but I haven't heard much about it on Debian.  In fact, it wrote
/etc/conf.modules on that woody (but 2.2 kernel) system!

| Unfortunately, I know nothing about what linuxconf does, and the
| standard answer on c.m.s is to not touch linuxconf as it *will*
| screw things up.
|
| If I were you, I'd:
| 	1) dpkg --purge --force-depends sendmail
| 	2) apt-get install sendmail
| 	3) Keep linuxconf from touching sendmail

If I did that I'd install exim instead.  The other admin uses
linuxconf on RH to manage sendmail.  I don't want to learn a new
turing-complete language just to deliver mail!

However, could you send me a detailed description of your sendmail
system?  Things like 'ls -l' on all sendmail files and spools, etc.
That way I can compare it to this system and see what went wrong.  At
least I could (maybe) manually correct it and/or submit a bug report
to the linuxconf people.

TIA,
-D

[1]  At least for some definition of "works".  The other admin uses it
     for everything.

--

(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?