Re: jigdo question

hi haroldo,

thank you for answering my question!

begin Haroldo Stenger <hstenger@adinet.com.uy>

> Don't rely on this file size's change. It doesn't have any relation with
> download progress, neither with completeness-to-the-moment of the
> image itself.  The image will be complete when jigdo tells you that.

it would've been nice for the docs to mention this!

> I don't understand why the Debian community seems to ignore all
> jigdo-related questions. Jigdo is being advertised in the website, but
> when one asks about a doubt on the mailing-lists, or in the #debian
> irc channel, these questions don't receive any attention at all.

i noticed this -- before posting to debian-user, i looked through the
archives of debian-user and debian-cd.  it was /very/ difficult to find
any question which got a reply.   to be frank, i wasn't expecting an
answer.  i guess i got lucky.   thank you!   :)

> I wonder what's happening here. Is it that people don't rely on Jigdo
> yet to download, ignoring the website's note on the convenience of
> using Jigdo over full CD image downloading? Is it that there isn't
> enough Jigdo knowledge yet? Is it just my own biased perception?

i suspect people aren't use jigdo yet.  i'm the first person to try it
from our user group, and we have some pretty hard core debian fans in
the group.

the connection to hungry blows big chunks.  it took almost 2 days to
download just binary-1.  after reading the debian website, i got sold on
jigdo.  but i have the oddest feeling that very few people are actually
using it.

> Not trying to be rude, just to sort of shake the issue in order to
> obtain some feedback!
>
> Best regards, Haroldo.

thanks for the words of confidence!   one last question -- if we can't
judge the file size of the .tmp file, is there any way of gauging how
far along the download i'm at?  jigdo's been doing its thing for nearly
12 hours.  i have no concept of whether i'm at the 9% completed mark or
the 99% completed mark.

do you know of any way to tell?   at least with binary images you have
some idea of an estimated time to completion.

thanks!
pete

ps- btw, where is uy?  i don't recall seeing it before.