Sharing Mozilla profiles with W2k

I run mozilla under both Linux and MS Win2000.  I would like both
versions to use the same data (specifically, bookmarks, lists of sites
visited, passwords--I'm not using it for mail or news).

Is this advisable, or am I likely to get burned by data or format
incompatibilities (maybe not now, but perhaps in the future) either
between Windows and Linux or between Mozilla versions (currently 0.9.9
on linux, 1.0rc on Windows)?

If it is not advisable, would any of the files (e.g., bookmarks.html)
be safe to copy around?

Finally, if it is sensible to share, how do I do it?  Set
~/.mozilla/default to be symlink to the other directory?
(The other directory is writable from Linux).