Re: how to get debconf or whoever to leave my ntp.conf alone

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 16:17 pm, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 02:04:30PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 April 2002 12:05 pm, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > I strobgly sugest you file a bug; debian packages should not behave in
> > > this fashion at all.
> >
> > I strongly suggest that software installation and software configuration
> > are two distinctly separate tasks, and while the former should be handled
> > by apt/dpkg, the latter should be left to the discretion of the sysadmin
> > (pref. with an option to enable auto-configuration on a per-package
> > basis).
> >
> > The bug is in apt/dpkg.
>
> Do you even know how those tools work?

According to dpkg(8) those tools consider "unpacked" (but not configured)
and "half-configured" as "package states". That tells me that package
configuration is, indeed, part of apt/dpkg's domain. Please tell me if this
isn't so, and I'll file a bug against dpkg manpage.

...It's up to individual packages,
> not the package management tools.

I should have said it's a design bug in Debian as a whole, but OK then,
have it your way: the bug is between some package maintainers' chairs
and keyboards.

Dima
--
Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the
documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies.