Re: Question About Debian

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Jenny.Chou@bba00.bus.utexas.edu wrote:
> My business is considering the use of Debian, and I was wondering if
> someone could answer my questions about it.  I have already hired an
> outside consultant, but wanted to research more myself.

You can find many answers to these questions at www.debian.org and
www.linux.com.

Basically, the current Debian OS (called Debian GNU/Linux) runs on top of
the Linux kernel.

> 1.  What are the hardware platforms required by operating system?

Right now, you can use ia32 (i.e. Pentiums, Athloms, i386, i486); Sparcs;
PowerPC (macs, some IBM RISCs); ARM; hppa (from HP); Alpha; ia64 and a few
others such as IBM S/390x mainframes.

> 2.  Variety (types and number) of processors the operating system can
> run?

See above for processor types. Usually one or two procesors. However, as
long as you get someone knowledgeable to do a proper kernel tunning and
apply the required patches, I think up to 16-way NUMA and 8-way SMP is well
supported. Ask in the linux kernel mailinglist, this is really a kernel
issue.

> 3.  Does the system support live-swapping?

Ask in the linux kernel mailinglist. With patches, and the appropriate
hardware, it does (for most stuff).

> 4.  Ability to connect to a wide variety of computers with a wide
> variety of operating systems and application software in use?

As long as said OS and Apps use open standards, yes. Otherwise, one gets
what one deserves for using/supporting closed standards (i.e. no wide
support for that file format/standard) if you are unlucky, or
it-sorta-works-sometimes support if you are lucky.

It has one of the best TCP/IP stacks in the world.

> 5.  Type of multitasking OS uses?  Preemptive or Cooperative

Both. Depends on app and kernel patches. Usually preemptive.

> 6.  Is the OS compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
> --has different capabilities to support different disabilities?

Depends on the application.

> 7.  Operating systems that support live installation or live swapping of
> hardware and software?  Does OS provide support for remote
> administration?  If it does, it allows a company to do more remote
> network administration and software loads.

Yes to all. But you'd better be ready to hire knowledgeable and responsible
people to do the setup. You have been warned.

> 8.  Virus Scan Software Supported?

Yes.  But there are very very few native viruses, so I suspect you mean
virus scanner software for Windows viruses (for which the answer is also
yes).

> 9.  Failure Detection Supported?  Able to detect and give early warnings
> of hardware failures?

Usually yes, really depends a lot on the hardware. You *will* need a good
consultant to properly select the hardware you are going to buy, to get one
that suits your needs and is properly supported by the OS.

> 10.  Optimized for Business Applications?  like databases?

As long as you get someone knowledgeable to do the tunning and select a
proper kernel VM strategy and patches (rmap, aa, vanilla...), yes.  OTOH, if
you mean wimpy databases of a few-thousand records with a few requests per
second, out-of-the-box will be far more than enough.  Unless you try to run
it on slow hardware, I suppose.

  Henrique Holschuh