Re: Squid processes

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 11:47:09AM -0400, Costa, Todd (DMH) wrote:
> Hi Debian Users,
>
> 	I am wondering if someone knows how I can reduce the number of
> processes start for DB's squid package. I seem to have way to many during
> startup. I have counted 18 and would like to decrease by 5 or so. Can anyone
> tell where I can make this change? Thanks

The main squid is only one process.  Squid also starts some external
processes, like unlinkd.  For DNS lookup, squid starts yet more
processes.  You can control the number of DNS processes with the
dns_children directive in /etc/squid.conf.  You cannot get rid of
unlinkd.

If you are using reidrectors or authentication, these will also
spawn shild processes.  You can control them in squid.conf.

-jwb