Re: Debian's position on MP3 encoders?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 06:33:25PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I'm an audio/video software luddite, but I finally want to replace my
| 200 CD Sony disc changer pile of junk with my fancy new Debian Woody
| workstation's sound capabilities. However, I'm starting to learn that
| MP3 encoding is patent encumbered, and the chances of finding a free,
| legal in the good ol' USA MP3 encoder for Linux are pretty nearly
| nil. Am I right?

More-or-less, yes.

| If this is the case, what is the "Debian recommended" or "Debian user
| consensus" (if any) on an audio encoder for my CDs? I don't care if
| it's actually not MP3 - but it must be free, it must be legal, and
| reasonable performance and player choices would be nice.
|
| Is it toolame what I want? Or what? A recommendation for a
| ripper/encoder and juke box player would be most welcome.

I use cdparanoia for ripping.  In the past I have used 'bladenc' for
mp3 encoding, but don't have it installed on my current system (and it
isn't packaged).  Now I use 'oggenc' for encoding using the Ogg Vorbis
format.  I get smaller .ogg files than the .mp3 was, and I think those
files are using a higher sampling too.  It's all more-or-less the same
to me -- I have a Sound Blaster Pro (8 bit) sound card, cheap
speakers, and I am hearing impaired.  I'm not going to be able to
detect minor differences in playback quality.  I use xmms for
playback.  Here's the relevant packages :

ii  xmms           1.2.7-1        Versatile X audio player that looks like Win
ii  vorbis-tools   1.0rc3-1       Several Ogg Vorbis Tools
ii  cdparanoia     3a9.8-6        An audio extraction tool for sampling CDs.

-D

--

Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.