Re: CUPS prints blank pages at the end of jobs

On 22 Apr 2002, Tom Cook wrote:

> --0aF+6pWUK5w8WdCh
>
> Hi,
>
> I have quickly googled this problem and can't find anything, so...
>
> I am using CUPS to print to a netware printer.  Everything works
> beautifully except that at the end of each job a blank page is
> printed, which I just stuff back into the paper tray.
>
> I don't have a non-netware printer handy that I can compare with.  The
> netware printer I am using is an HP LaserJet 4000 TN, and I am using
> the HP LaserJet 4000, Foomatic + Postscript driver.  The problem also
> occurs if I use the 4050 Foomatic + Postscript driver.

I've used this printer (well, the HP Laserjet 4000, anyway) with CUPS
under linux from various machines with no problems, blank pages or
otherwise.. Note I've used it in a networked setting (HP JetDirect I
believe is the protocol). Simply get hold of the HP 4000 PPD file (the
debian package hp-ppd contains it I believe), and then as per the
instructions on the CUPS documentation do

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LaserJet -E -v socket://11.22.33.44 -m laserjet.ppd
ENTER

where you replace 11.22.33.44 by the appropriate IP address of the
printer, and laserjet.ppd by the appropriate ppd file, with the full path
name if necessary.

 (see the "Software Administrators Manual", specifically
http://cups.org/sam.html#4_2_1 )

Easy as falling off a log, and more pleasant :-) I suggest you not bother
with Foomatic, which serves no purpose for postscript printers which have
ppd files available.

                                              Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.