KDE, baud, and configuration

I have an 800 MHz 20 Gig (Linux) / 4 Gig (Win98) box, and I just
installed Woody, new, on the Linux side, with K, wiping out
my Potato-Wmaker system [it's okay, Mr. Potato was only 2 wks old].

Previous to this Woody installation, I had approximately comparable
performance, Linux - to - Win98.  However, now whenever I go to get my
email or download a web page, the communications baud rate is so slow
that the system often times out.  It *is* getting through, but only
erratically.  I can reboot to Win98, and everything is normal speed.

Can anyone tell me what I have misconfigured, such that I've got
molassas for a web browser?

My connection is a permanent connection to another Linux box, which then
transmits to a server via radio dish, which then links to the net
through a proxy.  However, I also have a modem, nominally on COM1, that
is not being recognized, and a sound card that is not being recognized
by K.  Normal speeds are 32kbaud, but even local web pages are getting
stuck with Netscape Mail under K.

I also downloaded by Net Install the entire Woody installation, and that
was at normal speed [as is Dselect], so whatever the problem is, it
seems to happen just with something in K.

Any guesses?