Re: Kernel panic: NO INIT FOUND, but seems to be there.

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 15:08, Alessandro Ghigi wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My laptop hanged, and I shut it down. Afterwards it cannot boot.
> After loading linux, it stops saying roughly
>

> Partition check
>  hda: hda1 ....
> apm: Bios version ...
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesyustem) readonly.
> Freeing unused memory ...
>
> Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>

> I have tried passing the option init=/sbin/init, and also init=/bin/sh. It
> did not work. So I downloaded a rescue image, and with that I was able to
> boot with a root on the floppy.  I have checked the root
> partition on the hard disk: /sbin/init is there and is ok (I have
> replaced it with a copy from another  system), and also inittab looks
> ok. But the original root partition still does not work and gives the
> same message.
>
> The last time this happened to me (alas is not the first one!) I
> reinstalled everything. I hope somebody can advise some softer way to proceed.

This is very strange! Especially to happen twice! What are you doing to
your system?

Is the filesystem that the kernel is mounting as root really the root
filesystem? Or is it mounting another filesystem thinking it is root? Is
sbin in that filesystem? Try passing the root= parameter to the kernel
as well with the root partition. eg. linux root=/dev/hda3
init=/sbin/init.

Copying init from another system may have been very bad if that system
had init compiled against a different libc.

What were you doing before this happened? Was it a kernel upgrade gone
wrong?

Crispin