Re: Local mail delivery gone

On Sun Apr 21, 2002 at 09:23:25PM -0700, Steve Cooper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a working stand-alone Debian Unstable system with a DSL
> internet connection.  It happily receives email from my ISP's POP
> server using getmail.  I have no problem sending mail with postfix,
> configured for a smarthost.  What doesn't work, and hasn't for a while
> is local mail delivery.
>
> Mail I send to myself, or that gets automatically sent by installation
> scripts, goes into the "bit bucket".  Nothing ever gets appended to
> /var/spool/mail/<user>.  Note that I have getmail dumping emails right
> into my user directory hierarchy.  So it doesn't touch
> /var/spool/mail/<user>.
>
> I have studied the postix FAQ.  I assume postfix can be configured for
> both local and smarthost delivery, or am I mistaken?
>
> I'd appreciate any hints.

It works for me but I'm no expert.
Do you have /usr/bin/mail? maybe scripts are trying to use that.
On my box /usr/bin/mail is a link to /usr/sbin/sendmail (postfix's), but
I suspect I may possibly have made that link myself. Not sure.
--

-CraigW

"You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has
to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!"
	-Willy Wonka