Re: howto reset dselect to currently installed packages ?

On Sunday 21 April 2002 6:01 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
> I dont know how I did it, but I now have 730 packages selected for install,
> short of going through one by one and de-selecting them, does anyone know
> how to do this another easier way?
> I did manage to find one post in the archives which was similiar though not
> the same problem.  He suggested greping the file: /var/lib/dpkg/status then
> piping through sed,  doing a sort of find / replace . I couldnt get it to
> work though so If theres anyone who can help me I will be very grateful.
> TIA.
I have fixed this myself. The answer was to use Sed to replace the
appropriate string in the above file:

sed -e '/s install ok not-installed/ purge ok not-installed/' ./status
./status new

useful if anyone else does the same :-)
of course you would want to back up the file before attempting and once happy
with the results replace the original 'status file'

--
Regards

Wayne