Re: Potato on ALPHAstation 255: I cannot install it!

* Andreas Maresch <a.maresch@aon.at> wrote:

Hello!

Recently I got a Digital ALPHAstation 255. Of course, I wanted to install a real OS: Debian Potato for ALPHA.
I deleted the existing NT-partiton (via the BIOS) and inserted my
boot disc and the first CD.
Unfortunatly, the BIOS only seems to support NT or Win2k, since
there are several options like "Install Windows NT", "Partition HDD for Windows NT" and so on.
But I cannot boot from CD or floppy, nor can I tell the BIOS to do so.

Has anybody solved this problem in the past? If so, can (s)he give
me a hint how?
I have RTFM, but there are only general topics like partitioning, making backups and so on.

Yours

Andreas Maresch

Setting up Linux on an Alpha is a bit different... as you are finding out :) I don't have your particular model of Alpha, but perhaps I can get you started in the right direction.

1. Alphas have several different "sub-architectures" defined over time. This is important, because you have to use specific boot procedures and kernels compiled for your arch in order to make it work. Your computer (AS255) is an "Avanti", I think, but you might want to check this out with another source. I will be posting some useful links throughout this message.

2. Alphas have two methods of initializing the computer to start the boot process. The most useful, but more difficult, is called the "SRM Console". This is a fairly standard way of booting genric Unix and VMS operating systems, BUT it is incompatable with Windows NT. The other is called "AlphaBios" and was developed to allwo Win NT to boot. Linux can be booted under either, but he procedures are a bit different. I "think" your computer has both built-in, and if you have a choice I would advise you use the SRM method. These programs are called "firmware", and I highly suggest you get the latest version for your computer from Compaq at: http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/astn255.html

3. Generally, if you use the SRM console, you will be able to boot off the CD. If you use AlphaBios, you will need to make about 4-5 floppies just to boot to the CDROM-based installer! Both methods of installing are well documented in the INTALLATION MANUAL (FOR THE ALPHA) at: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-alpha/current/doc/. There are some of the sub-archs of the Alpha that won't boot under Alpha Bios with the current programs (like mine). There are ways around this at present, but AlphaBios support is on the wane, and more problems seem to be cropping up over time. SRM is the way to go!

4. Compaq also makes a "JumpStart" CD that will take a lot of the work out of setting up your system to install Linux. It may or may not work for you...dunno. It is available at: http://www.support.compaq.com/alpha-tools/software/index.html. This is a good link to bookmark BTW. It has a LOT of other useful "free" software for the Alpha form Compaq that you might be interested in later.

5.  Along with the above links, I would recommend the following:

http://www.linuxalpha.org/ (Lots of links and info here)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-