Re: starting nfs

David,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have a small network with several RedHat
machines, a Slackware machine, and now a Debian machine.  I'm considering
migrating all to Debian because I think apt-get is the best way to
maintain.  Using nfs is my first big stumbling block.

Server henry has been around since the dark ages and is running RH5.2,
Linux 2.0.36.  All the other machines mount henry.  My debian machine is
knuth, running 2.2.19-idepci. The machine feynman is running RH7.1.

Some of the entries in henry /etc/fstab are:
franklin:/      /mnt/franklin   nfs     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 1 1
ohm:/           /mnt/ohm        nfs     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 1 1
ampere:/        /mnt/ampere     nfs     exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 1 1
bohr:/          /mnt/bohr       nfs     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 1 1
volta:/         /mnt/volta      nfs     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 1 1
watt:/          /mnt/watt       nfs     user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 1 1
thevenin:/      /mnt/thevenin   nfs     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 1 1
feynman:/       /mnt/feynman    nfs     exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 1 1
knuth:/         /mnt/knuth      nfs     exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 1 1

Some of the entries in henry /etc/exports are:
/ thevenin.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/ einstein.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/ faraday.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/ feynman.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
/ knuth.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)

On knuth, /etc/exports looks like:
/ feynman.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
/ henry.amplepower.com(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)

On knuth the ps ax |grep portmap says:
   84 ?        S      0:00 /sbin/portmap

Trying to mount knuth from henry says:
[root@henry /root]# mount /mnt/knuth
mount: RPC: Program not registered

Trying to mount knuth from feynman says:
[root@feynman /etc]# mount /mnt/knuth/
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

Trying to mount henry from knuth says:
knuth:/etc# mount /mnt/henry
mount: henry:/ failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

Trying to mount feynman from knuth says:
knuth:/etc# mount /mnt/feynman
mount: RPC: Program not registered

I apologize for all the data - I've probably overlooked something simple,
but I thought I understood nfs enough to get it working.  BTW the machine
named bohr is running slackware and it works like all the others - it can
mount henry, or henry can mount bohr.  Bohr is a backup machine, so most
of the other machines can mount bohr to do backups.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com.