scanner problem

Hello.

I'm using Debian 2.2 with the Ximian GNOME desktop and some number of backported packages, running
the Linux 2.4.18-xfs kernel.

I just bought a Canon flatbed scanner model CanoScam N640P ex. I'd like to solicit ideas as
to what do you think of this scanner brand. Is is supported under linux?

I've also installed xsane, but it doesn't detect any devices. A check on the configuration files
at /etc/sane.d revealed that it searches for the device /dev/scanner (which unfortunately I don't have).
Is /dev/scanner a symlink to some device file. Note that the flatbed scanner connects to the
1st parallel port. Any special thing to do? Aside from parallel port support, ISAPNP support et. al.,
what else needs to be compiled into the kernel, if any? If I'll need to make the scanner device,
what parameters do I need to pass to MAKEDEV?

Else if the scanner doesn't work under linux... well... it's time to send it back...

    -->paolo