Fonts on an LCD Flat Panel

I'm starting to get very frustrated.

I acquired a new computer with a 17" Flat Panel Monitor (a Gateway
FPD1700).  Installed Woody on it, and the fonts all looked quite
horrendous.  I followed all of the font-deuglification tricks with the
TrueType directory's fonts.alias file, etc., but the fonts, while
improved, still render pretty poorly.

I've adjusted the screen resolution, the DPI, and various other things,
all to no avail.  I know that LCDs have a "default" screen resolution,
and I'm using that.

Is there anything else about LCDs that I could be
missing which would make fonts appear jagged and fuzzy?

Any help would be appreciated, before I throw my flat panel out the
window (which would be unfortunate).

-Rick