Re: kernel recompile takes the "work" out of "network"

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 14:14, Yury Sulsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed debian, and once I got the hang of it, I tried to
> recompile the kernel. Problem is, the network stops working. This occurs
> both going from a 2.2 kernel to a 2.4 one, and both using "make-kpkg" and
> "make bzlilo". What's weird is that "eth0" is still there, but it can't ping
> any external address.
>
> I can think of 2 possibile culprits:
>
>  - There's a command that I'm forgetting to run after compiling the kernel
> (maybe to reconfigure DHCP), or

There is no need to re-configure user space after a successful kernel
compile.

>  - When I recompiled, I simply changed all of the modules that I need to be
> built-in, including the tulip driver. Maybe I have to do something extra to
> get this to work?

Check that the tulip driver is loading on boot up. It should output some
message on startup. Use 'dmesg' to do this.

It is most likely to be your kernel configuration. Post the config file
and someone on this list will be able to spot whats wrong (It will be in
your /boot directory, named something like config-versionnum.)

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington