usb mouse

Hi,
After some problems installing debian, I finally got X running. But my
usb-mouse does not run.
This is what I have done:
1. Install usbmanager
2. Install new kernel(took the newest precompiled version with dselect)
3. configure lilo(initrd)
4. created the device /dev/input/mice with mknod. Here is the output of ls
-l /dev/input/mice:
crw-r--r--  1  root  root  13, 63 Apr  7 19:51 /dev/input/mice
Should be ok.
But when I type cat /proc/bus/usb/devices nothing is returned.
And cat /dev/input/mice does not show strange signs when I move the mouse as
stated in a linux-usb-howto.
So the device should be the problem - not X.
According to lsmod mousedev, hid, usbcore and input are loaded - where is
the problem?
My mouse is a primax which used to work fine on suse, my mainboard an assus
P2B.
Thanks for helping, X without mouse is not that nice, Matthais

http://www.gmx.net