Re: system logs not getting rotated

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 02:06:29AM -0500, Mark S. Reglewski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:19:52AM -0500, Mark S. Reglewski wrote:
>
> > I just flipped a potato installation to woody on Saturday, April 6.
> > My cron.daily/sysklogd script has the same line with the
> > 'reload-or-restart' argument, which should be bogus according to
> > Debian Policy, section 10.3.2, which recognizes as legitimate
> > arguments only 'start', 'stop', 'restart' and 'force-reload', or
> > optionally, 'reload'.  The line in question *looks* like a piece of
> > pseudo-code that was inserted while the author was debating whether
> > to restart the daemon with a restart or reload argument, but
> > inadvertently left in the final version of the script.
>
> D'oh.  Just tested this.  In potato, as root:
>
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd reload       # works
>
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart      # works
>
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd reload-or-restart   # fails with message: Usage:
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload}
>
> In woody *all three* commands *work*.  That's right, the
> 'reload-or-restart' argument works.  It restarts the logging daemon
> without error.  So Rick, whatever is b0rking your system logging, it's
> not that line in /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd.
>
> Looks like documentation is running a little behind development here.

Somehow my system has the old init.d/sysklogd script and the new
cron.daily script.

I just did 'apt-get --reinstall install sysklogd' and the init.d script
did *not* get updated. Is that behavior correct? Do I need to uninstall
and then install sysklogd?

Is this one of those script changes that produces the 'use maintainers
or keep your old' questions? If so that could be the cause of my problem
as I usually (but inconsistently) keep the old. That question seldom
gives any hint whether the new script has important changes or even if
it's the same as what's already there.

--
Try to imagine a system of labor imposed by force that is not a
violation of liberty; a transfer of wealth imposed by force that