Re: Making a minimal Woody install CD

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 03:56:19AM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> What would I need to do to make a minimal install CD for Woody.
>
> What I would like to do is have the kernel, ramdisk, drivers and base on
> the CD, then be able to boot off the CD, prepare my filesystems, install
> the base, but then do the rest of the installation over the network.
>
> This would be helpful for people like me who have internet connections
> too slow to download an ISO.  If I only download the packages I need, it
> takes a lot less time than downloading a CD image.  But it would also
> mean I could do an installation wherever I happen to be, without hauling
> around any floppies (I usually bring a binder of CD's with me when I
> travel).
>
> It seems to me everything I would need is available from the debian
> website, but I would need to configure a bootable CD somehow.
>
> It seems to me I could write a shell script that would pull all the
> necessary files down and burn a CD out of it.  Then I could post the
> script on my website, and I expect others would find it useful.
>
> Mike

first do: apt-get install debian-cd (here's the docs and the script you
were searching for)

second: you can mount whit ftpfs a debian ftp site, so you don't need the
whole mirror downloaded on your hd ;-)

ftpfs tarball: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftpfs/
ftpfs man: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/4/ftpfs

next: enjoy :-)