Re: SV: Tekram 315U PCI

Hi!

OK, now here is the explanation on the kernel configuration and
compilation. If you have problems with getting the packages required,
you can write me.

1.) The following packages should be installed: libncurses4-dev or
libncurses-dev or libncurses5-dev; kernel-package, binutils, bin86,
make , a gcc package (gcc, gcc-2.95, g++, g++-2.95) and all packages
these ones depend on. (dunno if I'm missing anything here; if the
compilation scripts complain about a missing file, you can search for
the appropriate package at http://packages.debian.org (use the search
form at the bottom).

2.) You now need kernel sources. Firstly, look around which kernel
version you have by "dmesg |more". This command will show you the
kernel output from tehe startup, and you'll see if your kernel is
version 2.2.x or 2.4.x (or if it's very old, 2.0.x). The kernel
sources package you'll have to install depend on the distro you have
and what kernel you have now:

If you have the potato (stable/2.2) distribution and...
... kernel 2.0.x, install kernel-source-2.0.38
... kernel 2.2.x, install kernel-source-2.2.19

If you have the testing distribution and...
... kernel 2.2.x, install kernel-source-2.2.20
... kernel 2.4.x, install kernel-source-2.4.18

if you do not have one of these packages, install the most recent
kernel-source 2.x.y package available, where x must be the same
number which is in your running kernel, y is the higehest number
which you have a package for.

3.) Now, go (that means cd, most the work is done on a console!!!) to
/usr/src/ . There you'll find a file named
kernel-source-2.x.y.tar.bz2 or (...).gz Now, uncompress this package,
by tar xzf <filename>.gz or by tar xjf <filename>.bz2 ; this depends
on how your sources are compressed. With older tar programs, you must
use xIf (where I is a capital "i") instead of xjf. The kernel-sources
are now uncompressed; you'll find a new directory under /usr/src with
the kernel insinde; now create a symbolic link named linux in
/usr/src, which points onto the kernel directory to do this, do the
following:

cd /usr/src
ln -s <name of the kernel dir> linux

4.) Install the tekram315 patches. For getting the newest patch,
download http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/dc395-138.tar.gz into
the /usr/src dir and uncompress it by tar xzf. Now, go into
/usr/src/dc395 and do the following copy actions:

cp -p dc395x_trm.* /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/
cp -p READ* /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/

and now the patching:

cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 < /usr/src/dc395/dc395-integ2x.diff where x stands for the
second number in your kernel version (0,2,4).

Patch will tell you if it was successful, if errors have occured only
while patching readme files or not at all, it will probably work.

5.) Go into /usr/src/linux and call: make-kpkg --config menuconfig
--bzimage binary-arch This will start kernel-configuration and
compilation. You can now choose, which drivers should be built into
your selfmade kernel. There are two different ways of loading drivers
in linux: Either, they are compiled directly into the kernel, or they
are compiled as modules. Modules are drivers which can be loaded
while the system is running; the kernel even can load modules it
needs dynamically. I personally would choose to build all important
drivers directly into the kernel when doing a compile for the first
time, because you won't have to care about loading modules then.
Attention: Don't ever compile the ext2 filesystem driver as a module.
This leads to a chicken-egg-problem: The kernel cannot load the
filesystem where the modules are on and you can only boot by
bootdisk/boot-cd. Compile it straight into the kernel! Cause it would
be too long if I would explain the whole configuration here, I'll
only give some hints; carefully walk through the menus and choose the
options, many also have a help text:

You'll need to enable "Experimental or new drivers" because the
realtek driver is "new" if you're using a 2.2 kernel. Enabling or
switching options to "compile as module" (M) works with the
whitespace key.

Also enable _all three options_ under "loadable module support".

For the Realtek card,  use the "8139too" driver, if you have a 8139
chip.

For the Tekram, use "DC395/U/UW and DC315/U support" under SCSI->SCSI
low level drivers under SCSI, of course, CDROM support etc. must be
enabled

Switch on /dev/agppart under "Character Devices", if available.

For the Logitech mouse and keyboard, you'll need the ps2 mouse driver
or an usb hid (human interface devices) driver with mouse/kb option
(depends on if this kb/mouse is usb) enabled. The USB HID driver and
the USB scanner/printer drivers depend on the USB-UHCI /OHCI driver
(depends on chipset, for via/intel choose UHCI).

After you'll have left the menu and have saved the config, make-kpkg
will compile kernel and modules and headers into two .deb packages in
/usr/src. Now, install them by:

cd /usr/src
dpkg -i kern*.deb

You'll be asked a few questions, and the kernel will be copied to
/boot/vmlinuz-<versionname> or so, a link /vmlinuz which points to
/boot/vmlinuz-<versionname> will also be created. The modules are
copied under /lib/modules/<kernelversion>. If the package installer
complains that you should move your old modules away, I suggest that
you go to a second console (by Alt-F2), login as root and cd
/lib/modules and move the disturbing directory away by mv
<kernelversion> <kernelversion>.sic .

Now, call "lilo" once so it is made sure the boot block is properly
written and reboot: Good luck, maybe the machine won't boot up any
more now, then you'll have to use a debian rescue floppy or debian
boot cd; at its boot prompt you can type rescue root=/dev/<debian
partition name> to boot your debian system with a rescue kernel, then
install an old kernel-image from a cd and just tell me about the
errors which occured when trying to boot the new one ;) , I'll try to
help you.

If you need modules to be loaded at startup by default, although
these drivers are not compiled in, you can manually load them with
the program modconf; this program also creates entries in
/etc/modules so that the modules will be loaded at boottime.

To reconfigure the kernel, and compile it again, type make-kpkg clean
and then do make-kpkg <options as above> .

Cheers,

Stephan

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:29:31 +0200
Dan Christensen <danchristensen@mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > you'd like this, please give me a short summary of the hardware
you> > have (mainboard/processor type, cards which are inside))