Re: Is Mozilla mail brian dead?

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 03:34, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 23:40, Kent West wrote:
> > Patrick Kirk wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > ><rant> I
>
> [snip]
>  </rant>
>
> Sorry about that.  I was looking for a lightweight alternative to
> Evolution that would play nice with mutt.  spent about 30 minutes
> searching Moz menus and Google looking for a box to put my password in
> and then got very annoyed.
>
> Seriously, a trip to www.joelonprogramming.com should be compulsory for

This link "could not be found". Maybe the server's down?

<snip>

> > I believe you'll find password management to be under Tasks/Privacy and
> > Security/Password Manager.
>
> No.  Thats for slashdot and the like.

OK. Wasn't sure, since I don't have Moz remember my password. It just
seemed logical since the checkbox to remember your password says
something like "Do you want Password Manager to remember your password?"

> > I don't believe that's what your problem is however. It sounds like
> > perhaps you have a network problem or a typo in the mail server's
> > address, etc.
>
> Using IMAP on the localhost running it from an Xsession across the
> network.  Works a treat with Evolution, if a little slow because the
> server is a P200MMX from 1997.  But it does work.

I can't expunge mail using IMAP in Evolution. It always pops up an error
about too many parameters for UID or something similar. I tried
searching for a listed bug, in preparation for posting one, but the only
search options I could find for Evolution was to search by number. If I
knew the number of the bug, I wouldn't need to search for it. Duh!
Needless to say, I didn't post the bug, and I don't usually use
Evolution because of it. Ironically however, I'm using it right now to
type this message.

> Actually now that I think of it, Evolution also presents an error
> message the first time you use it.  You have to exit, re-enter and then
> it asks for the password.

Some app, I don't remember if it's Evolution or Balsa or Sylpheed or
what, doesn't even show the newly created IMAP account until you exit
and restart the app. At least that's the way it was a couple of months
ago. Maybe it's fixed by now.

> Maybe its a Linux thing.  "If they are willing to compile a kernel, they
> must be masochists.  Lets make them work for their mail" - could be the
> philosophy.

Yeah, as much as I love GNU/Linux, there are some serious usability
issues to be resolved yet in many products.

> > Are you using IMAP or POP?
> >
> > You might delete the account and then recreate it. If there's a typo
> > somewhere that you just "can't see", that should take care of it.
>
> I only did that twice before sending my rant.  But its a good first
> step.  Thanks for replying...
> >
> > Kent
> >

> Patrick

Sorry I wasn't able to help. If any ideas come to me, I'll pass them
along.

Kent