Re: Building a single user Internet terminal

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:44:06PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:

> Have a script that starts X for a certain user and begins galeon. Run
> this as a respawn process under /etc/inittab. Make a certain runlevel be
> kiosk mode (the default). Make other run levels the admin mode (normal
> logins etc).

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer! It sounds pretty much like what I
want. I have tried to follow your advice and came across one or two
little issues.

> /etc/inittab line something like

> ki:2:respawn:su -c /usr/local/bin/runkiosk kioskuser

I have replaced the line:

  l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2

in the inittab with your suggestion, in the hope that would do the
required.

> /usr/local/bin/runkiosk could basically just startx, and let kioskusers
> .Xsession file do the rest.

Also I have made this, only containing 'startx'.
Now if I reboot, I see no X, but a message repeating:

  X: user not authorised to run the X server, aborting.

And a few more lines. I think I understand what is happening, but am not
too sure how to fix it.

> Perhaps try running it without any WM at all. Use -geometry to make
> galeon fullscreen.

That is something I would like to experiment with, but am not able to
picture how to do it. The 'alternatives' system allows me to switch
between IceWM and TWM, but not do without at all.

> > - Provide some means for a user to safely shut down the system prior
> >   to power-down (preferably from the GUI)

> Have the whole system use ext3. Have no shutdown at all (just switch it
> off like a stereo)

That would be brilliant. But again (sorry about my ignorance) I do not
really now how to get there. I seem to recall that the default install
(Woody and upgrade to Sid right after) does not have ext3 support.
Suppose a kernel rebuild would be required? Also, I have two partitions,
large root and a small boot (and swap also). I think I have read
sometime that /boot needed to be ext2... Further, is there a command for
converting an existing ext2 -> 3, or do I need to make a new
installation.

Sorry for all these questions, help is _much_ appreciated!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>