xscreensaver weirdness with gnome on unstable

Howdy,

I'm running unstable, and after upgrading (yesterday I think) I've noticed
some problems with xscreensaver and gnome.  Here's what I saw:

1) The first time I started up my gnome session after the upgrade, it
took much longer (initially) to get going.

2) I could no longer access the screensaver through the configurator,
because...

3) xscreensaver wasn't even running.

Here's a snippet from the output of startx which I think might be
relevant:

[snip]
SESSION_MANAGER=local/iczer1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/30342
esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
/tmp/.esd/socket
This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
Exiting...
xscreensaver-demo: not compiled with --crapplet support
usage: xscreensaver-demo [ -display dpy-string ] [ -prefs ]
[snip]

Is "--crapplet" really the correct name for the option? :-)
Anyway, both of the following manually issued commands return the same
error as above:

xscreensaver-demo --capplet
xscreensaver-demo --crapplet

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!