SOLVED:: X Forwarding via SSH

Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 17:40, Kent West wrote:

So, for some reason, it seems that my Sid box that I'm ssh'ing into isn't setting my DISPLAY. Why not?

On the box you are SSHing to, check /etc/ssh/sshd_config for lines like:

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

And on the machine you are SSHing from, check /etc/ssh/ssh_config for

ForwardX11 yes

Check ssh(1) and sshd(8).  Now, about the stupid mismatch between these
two directives, I guess you should mail todd@openbsd.org

-jwb

Apologies to everyone; much of the problem was due to an experiment we were doing at work which required me to temporarily move my office Sid box to a different ELAN (and thus different IP address). However, having normally a static IP address in our DNS table, my system was getting confused about the IP address for westek.acu.edu. Making an entry in westek's /etc/hosts file for westek solved the second half of the problem.

The first half of the problem is that my DISPLAY environment variable was not being set when I ssh'd in. This was due to my misunderstanding of the ssh config files. There's a "forwarding" entry in both /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config. The default on both is "no". I (mis)understood that the "ssh -X" option overrode both config files. But it doesn't; it only overrides the ssh_config.

In other words, forwarding needs to be turned on in two places:
   On the "server", in the sshd_config file
and
on the "client", in the ssh_config (not sshd_config) file, or on the command line with the -X option.

Jeffrey (see top) helped me to figure out the first half, which eventually got me to the point where I figured out the second half.

Thanks to all!

Kent