Per user info directory

What is the general technique to allow users to have their own info
directory or at least an `dir' file that concatenates per user info
files into a place that allows `info whatever_software' to work.

An example might be, if I were to install the emacs related package
`tramp' in ~/emacs/tramp

It has its own texi (source info files) files in tramp/texi.
I've compiled them into tramp.info, and now want to make that info
file available to the standalone `info' reader.

I know how to `install-info' and install an entry in /usr/info/dir but
on my (stock) setup /usr/info/dir is owned and group `root'.  So a
user wouldn't be able to do that.

The debian `install-info' tool seems to lack the capacity to generate
a stand alone dir file.  At least I couldn't figure out the syntax to
do that.  However, if I provide a skeleton by copying the top end of
/usr/info/dir  into $home/emacs/tramp/texi/dir.  And install an entry
for tramp on that local dir using `install-info'.  I still don't see a
handy way to tell the info reader about it.

One traditional way is with the the INFOPATH env variable but trying
that it seems the only path that gets read is the first one, and the
reader forgets about everthing else.

INFOPATH=$INFOPATH:$HOME/emacs/tramp/texi;export INFOPATH
With this set, the reader knows about $HOME/emacs/tramp/dir
But has forgotten every thing else.  And can't read the entry for
tramp either:

(used `install-info --section Networking Networking\
                    --infodir=$HOME/emacs/tramp/texi\
                     tramp.info' )

INFOPATH=/usr/info:/usr/share/info:$HOME/emacs/tramp/texi
export INFOPATH
With this set, the reader knows about /usr/info/dir but not about the
one in tramp/texi.  Turn it around and the reader knows about
/usr/info/dir but still doesn't know bout tramp

I don't think this is supposed to be this difficult so suspect I'm
doing something very wrong.