Re: No Internet Connection (DHCP)

Looks like an ADSL connection. Since I don't use ADSL, please apply salt
as necessary below...

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 01:30:25PM -0800, Brian W. Carver wrote:
> I boot up and first thing I type: ifconfig
> I get:
>
> [ output of ifconfig snipped. No mention of eth0 ]
>
> So eth0 is not UP. Then I type: ifconfig eth0 up
> and then I type: ifconfig
> and I get:
>
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:E0:00:8A
>  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>  RX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>  collisions:0 txqeuelen:100
>  Interrupt:10 Base address:0x1800
>
> [ rest of output of ifconfig snipped ]
>
> So, as you can see, eth0 is NOT assigned an inet addr:

Yep. ifconfig will only assign an IP address if you specify the IP
address on the command line. And it does not use
/etc/network/interfaces.

But ifup does...

> As a result, I have no internet connection.
> This is particularly frustrating because it was on the internet just
> fine the other evening. I didn't purposely change anything, but now the
> internet connection is lost.

Perhaps you used ifup back then?

--
Karl E. Jørgensen