Re: Debian on PS2 with 2.5" IDE raid??

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:16:25PM +0800, Patrick Hsieh wrote:
> I'd like to install Debian on Sony PS2 with 2 2.5" IDE disks as software
> raid disk array. Is it possible? Is there anyone having experience?

[Disclaimer: I've never tried this, nor thought about it before, but
here goes...]

I'm sure it's possible, but I doubt that any of the debian boot disks
support this.  You might have to make your own, it's not too hard.
IIRC, you just need to compile up a kernel image with whatever
options/patches/whatever that you need, then copy the bzImage to a
FAT-formatted floppy.  Then, you need to use the syslinux command to
make the disk bootable.

If you can get the machine to boot using this disk, then you should be
able to install debian using it.

Actually, it might be more complicated than that...doesn't software
RAID require some userland intervention?  Hmmm...you might be better
off attaching another hard drive to the system, then using debootstrap
to setup the debian system...

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.