Re: Please Help! Can't install packages!

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 12:44:07PM -0500, Anthony R. J. Ball wrote:

>   When I try to install packages I get the messages below.
> If I reboot I can install packages for about 10 minutes till
> the problem rears its ugly head once again. It seems to be a
> problem in the default CHLD handler, but I don't know for sure.
>
>   Can anyone offer advice?
>

> www:/home/ant# apt-get install dnsmasq
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   dnsmasq
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63  not upgraded.
> Need to get 26.8kB of archives. After unpacking 131kB will be used.
> Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main dnsmasq 1.3-1 [26.8kB]
> Fetched 26.8kB in 0s (30.2kB/s)
> Can't ignore signal CHLD, forcing to default.
> dpkg-deb: wait for gzip -dc failed: No child processes
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dnsmasq_1.3-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/dnsmasq_1.3-1_i386.deb

I've never heard of this problem before, so I can't think of anything
specific, but have you tried google?  If it's ever happened to anyone,
anywhere before, it'll show up there.  Otherwise, have you tried
upgrading your dpkg to so if it's already fixed?
Sorry I can't be of more help.

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.