Re: ATA Raid

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:15:07PM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Jeff J. (jeff@campbellcounty.com) [020403 08:13]:
> > I am looking for an ATA/100 or 133 RAID controller that fulfills these
> two requirements:
> > Operates in a 66mhz PCI slot.
> > Is (well?) supported by Debian.
> > Somewhere in the $200 range would be nice.  Does such a thing exist?
> > I know there is very little official support for Debian from various
> > vendors, so I thought I'd check to see what works from other Debian
> > users before I buy a useless card.
> I'm not a RAIDer myself, but from what I've heard through the grapevine,
> software raid is the way to go. Of course, if you've a good reason for
> choosing hardware over software raid, more power to you, but I've heard
> plenty of people saying "ditch that piece of junk and just use software
> RAID which works beautifully" when asked about hardware RAID
> controllers.

    We are switching from useing 3Ware cards (6xxx series) to using a
    dumb 2 port + 2 onbard ports w/software raid on some fairly high
    bandwidth databases (150GiB of tables on one).

    We're doing RAID0 (we replicate the DBs at the DB level), and we
    seem to get *slightly* less performance, but we get a lot better
    error reporting.

    The 3Ware cards are the "C" rev, for which there is a firmware
    update, and we may switch back if that upgrade fixes the reporting
    problems, but i doubt it.

    It really simplifies a system a *lot* to do the raid in software,
    and simple things break in simple and predictable ways. Complex
    things break in complex and stochasitic ways. Simple breakages
    usually have simple solutions. Complex breakages are usually best
    solved by simplifying.

--
Share and Enjoy.